Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sandblasting versus Laser Engraving

I spent a few hours researching various ways that glass can be engraved. To keep it simple, satin etching (also known as sandblasting) seems to be superior to laser engraving for drinking glasses.

The rest from here on is SCIENCE if you're interested in it. If anybody knows this better than I do then let me know. My current knowledge on the subject relates to a dozen websites.

From what I understand, laser engraving is effective on purer glass. That is to say, glass with little other than that in the composition. Pure glass is considered a natural substance. With no impurities in the glass, a laser cuts just fine. But when you want a tougher material, the glass may be combined with a little bit of another substance thus creating an impure glass which is more suitable as a drinking glass. Downside is a laser engraving does something weird to the integrity of the glass compared to satin etching. In either case, they both produce very similar visuals but one is considered superior. In this case, drinking glasses usually receive satin etching.From this we can conclude four important points.
- Pure glass is more brittle than impure glass
- Impure glass makes a better drinking cup
- Laser carving gets jacked up for some SCIENCE reason on impure glass
- Satin etching (sandblasting) is, from what I reviewed, superior for drinking glass

SO for the wrap up part now.
tl;dr
Satin etching is superior to laser engraving. If anybody happens to work with these kinds of things then I'd appreciate your input.

On a final note, I have a promising lead and may be able to see irl examples one day. If any new developments occur I will post them here. This is one step closer.

1 comment: